Coupons: are they really worth it? That's what I am trying to decide.
I should back up and explain a little first. My goal every month is to get under $400 for all groceries, including toiletries and Q stuff. My budget is $400, but my goal is more like $350. I think I can do this easily enough if I play my cards right, but the only challenging thing is that we value eating healthfully.
Which is why I asked my first question. It seems like for those who truly "coupon," it is a must to invest in a Sunday paper. However, most of what I see people buying who have their clipped coupons is not what I'm interested in. Plus, at HEB I feel like they often just have the coupon already in the store. I've also found through sites like Southernsavers, lots of online coupons, plus some freebies. (I've got sample perfume from Burberry, some toothpaste, and a Kashi snack coming in the mail. I also have a coupon for a free greek yogurt at any store!) It's also been recommended to me to simply shop at Walmart since they all around have cheaper prices. I am up for the challenge and this next week will do my shopping there...I've done some price comparisons and they really are cheaper. I'm just not sure if they have everything I want and the quality I would like. (Plus I would prefer to buy locally when I can).
This past week, with nothing other than the coupons HEB offers and my own "eating healthy on not much $ list," I came in at $96. I was really proud of myself; I even bought mostly organic produce. However, I still have a ways to go to get to my spending goal, which is why I'm wondering if it's worth the time and money to invest in a Sunday paper and sort through coupons. I really do love saving, particularly when I feel like I'm getting good quality at a great price. I'm realizing it's almost the same feeling for me as when you get a great new pair of jeans that fit perfectly. Almost.
So, if anyone reading this has any thoughts, or tips, that would be greatly appreciated. This was just way to long to put on facebook, hence the blog post.
I should back up and explain a little first. My goal every month is to get under $400 for all groceries, including toiletries and Q stuff. My budget is $400, but my goal is more like $350. I think I can do this easily enough if I play my cards right, but the only challenging thing is that we value eating healthfully.
Which is why I asked my first question. It seems like for those who truly "coupon," it is a must to invest in a Sunday paper. However, most of what I see people buying who have their clipped coupons is not what I'm interested in. Plus, at HEB I feel like they often just have the coupon already in the store. I've also found through sites like Southernsavers, lots of online coupons, plus some freebies. (I've got sample perfume from Burberry, some toothpaste, and a Kashi snack coming in the mail. I also have a coupon for a free greek yogurt at any store!) It's also been recommended to me to simply shop at Walmart since they all around have cheaper prices. I am up for the challenge and this next week will do my shopping there...I've done some price comparisons and they really are cheaper. I'm just not sure if they have everything I want and the quality I would like. (Plus I would prefer to buy locally when I can).
This past week, with nothing other than the coupons HEB offers and my own "eating healthy on not much $ list," I came in at $96. I was really proud of myself; I even bought mostly organic produce. However, I still have a ways to go to get to my spending goal, which is why I'm wondering if it's worth the time and money to invest in a Sunday paper and sort through coupons. I really do love saving, particularly when I feel like I'm getting good quality at a great price. I'm realizing it's almost the same feeling for me as when you get a great new pair of jeans that fit perfectly. Almost.
So, if anyone reading this has any thoughts, or tips, that would be greatly appreciated. This was just way to long to put on facebook, hence the blog post.
Hey this is Kat, I have a friend who seriously do couponing and it s wii worth it. I am just lazy and busy so I do it every once in a while. But I would buy the paper
ReplyDeleteI am wondering the same thing you are. ;)
ReplyDeleteI've tried the hardcore "grocery game" coupon-ing, but I just ended up buying junk I would not otherwise buy. However, I've heard that it's worth it if you only buy the stuff you really use. I'm too lazy. I also stink at grocery budgeting. I struggle to keep our groceries under $500 (and that's for 2 folks, no baby, not including dog food...though we do include all toiletries, cleaning supplies, beauty stuff, etc in that category). I aspire to do better by primarily sticking to ingredients from the farmers market, making more stuff from scratch, etc. I've improved, but I'm not there yet. It doesn't help that I supplement farmers market & Costco (v. cost effective places) with lots of Whole Foods shopping (wonderful store, but a tad bit pricey). Please do share any tips you find along the way!
ReplyDeleteOkay, I think I'm done commenting. :)
Saba
Not really having to do with coupons, but if you're wanting to save money on groceries, you may also be interested in http://www.angelfoodministries.com/ to supplement part of your groceries each month. It's a ministry that provides fresh, high quality food at a discount to anyone who wants to take advantage of it (no income limitations or anything like that), and you just go pick it up once a month from their 'host sites'.
ReplyDeleteI tried it for a while but I found that: most of the coupons in the paper are online, it is almost a full time job, I ended up getting stuff I did not need, and most of the coupons are for what I would consider junk food. We eat mostly organics and coupons for such items are almost non existent. A bit of encouragement: it is possible to eat healthy, organic food on a budget. I buy groceries, including meat etc. at a Whole Foods like store and spend ~$500/month for Chloe, myself, my husband, my mom, and four dogs....with rarely using coupons. Best wishes.
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone! Saba, I agree...it is hard to get under that if you're trying to eat healthy! I will share any tips along the way. I have a few more blog post ideas rolling around in my head. :)
ReplyDelete