It started out like any normal morning...oh wait, except for the fact that I was being induced into labor and going to have a baby that day! We had to get there at 5 a.m., which is a pretty early start time if you ask me. Why not let the woman who is about to spend the next few nights getting very little sleep have a few extra hours of sleep? Oh well. At least I had slept decently the night before, even if it was an early start. I had prayed I'd be able to sleep since I was worried I wouldn't what with nerves and all, and thankfully I did.
Here I am chillin. The pitocin officially started at 6:47 a.m. Funny some of the little details you remember and what you don't remember. At this point I'm in no pain. I'm also only dilated to 1 centimeter.
I had the best labor and delivery nurse ever. She was so encouraging and I was so thankful for her. She knew what Ihop was (and not the pancake place). Enough said.
Flash forward about five hours; I'm in quite a bit of pain now. Oh, and that three hour mark I'd been believing for had definitely past and I'm still in labor. Intense labor. I don't know if you can see the computer monitor in the background, but the bottom set measures my contractions, which at this point were very intense thanks to the pitocin. I sat there and tried to evaluate if I had ever been in more pain in my life, and I honestly couldn't say that I had.
Here's a nice close-up. I'm trying to smile through a contraction. Around this time I start having pretty intense back labor, too. I remember wiggling my toes through the contractions and breathing/praying through them, and usually all that would come out was, "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus." Paul was a good back-rubber during this time.
A real smile in between contractions.
So sometime shortly after this point I get checked again and am informed that after five(ish) hours of labor, I'm still at a one. I've made no progress. It was at that point that I decided I would have an epidural, since I was already over the time I would have liked to deliver by two hours and I was making no progress. My kind doctor didn't make me wait to get to a 3, and I quickly went from a one to a three after my epidural. We don't really have pics after this point cause I think we just took naps. Epidurals are amazing, by the way; I'm now officially a fan. :) Maybe I'll go natural next time if I'm not induced. Anyway, I kept progressing till it was time to push at about 6:20 p.m., almost 12 hours later after the pitocin drip started.
WARNING: This next part is a little bloody...you are warned.
After pushing for about 35 minutes, he was born at 6:55 p.m. on Octorber 22, 2010!
The doctor asking Paul if he wanted to cut the umbilical cord. He did.
Me meeting Quintin in person for the first time, and falling in love. It's all worth it.
I remember thinking, "He really is cute," even though he was rather cone-headed at the moment. I don't think I noticed that though till later when I was looking back through pictures.
Our big baby boy at 8 lbs and almost 14 oz! He was 21" long.
I just think this pic is funny. I'm pretty tired at this point, but I'm loving holding my sweet boy!
He did great nursing for the first time. I was SO thirsty and hungry the whole day. I remember telling the doctor and nurse when it came time to push that I wanted to hurry up and be done so I could get something to eat! I finally got to drink something! Funny thing was they handed me a coke and not water. Whatever.
Me and my precious Q.
Our first family photo. :)
We're so incredibly thankful for our son; he's such a gift. As I reflect back on that day I have so much to be thankful for, but overall I'm so thankful for my healthy, beautiful baby boy!













Yay! I love this! I am so excited to have my pictures like you :)
ReplyDelete